bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer Topic Starter
2009-01-14T05:32:50Z
As YAF created only with MS SQL Server in mind the other data layers require some changes in source code.

1.The main problem is that data layer is not separated and MS SQL specific scripts spotted everywhere in different assemblies.
Obviously, they should be restricted to YAF.Classes.Data and YAF.Providers classes.
2.Data type incompatabilities.
The problems happen when some other data layers like MySQL return Int types which can't be casted by (int). MySQL returns Int64. It happens in multiple places.
Convert.ToInt32 solves the problems for all data layers.
Another problem happens with (bool). Sometimes it occurs with MySQL data layer as it returns SByte at TYNYINT(1) or BOOLEAN.
There is specific things with PostgreSQL. Sometimes DLL can return bool, but in some rare places it caompared against int and gives an error.
Error happens when the data layer returns DB.Null and checks for it needed in couple of places.
No wonder, as object type is used widely in different DataRow types inside code.

In other repects data layers can be fitted to YAF perfectly simply by adding references to data specific assemblies.

This topic is to post all the incompatabilities for other data layers.
and fixes for it.

Sponsor
Mek
  •  Mek
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2009-01-15T09:16:53Z

I'll try and make some headway after I'm sure the snitz conversion password issue is resolved.

UserPostedImage 

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon 🙂 )

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.