Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline midwestSS  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:48:22 AM(UTC)
midwestSS

Medals: Medal of Honor for Bug Finder: Given for kick-assery at finding bugs by being excellent at QA.Medal of Open Source Contributer: Given to someone who gets open source and gives back to the community.

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
maybe im just up too early, but is there documentation on what has changed between RC3 and RC4?
Offline BWG  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 1:22:27 AM(UTC)
BWG

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is RC4 supposed to offer better performance for long threads (i.e. those with many pages)? I found with RC1 that threads with 15 pages or more were slowing down enormously and becoming unusable. I think I've seen similar problems on the Dr Who forum which is powered by YAF. To get round the performance issue I stripped out all (or at least what I could see) of the code for the 'Thanks' functionality. That made a HUGE difference, and now I'm running threads with 60+ pages and getting sub 1 sec rendering times on the current page. Smile
Offline BWG  
#18 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 1:30:52 AM(UTC)
BWG

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Quick question please...

Have there been any changes to the database between 1.94 RC1 and 1.94 RC4?

Thanks

Brian
Offline Jaben  
#19 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 10:03:44 AM(UTC)
Jaben

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.

Was thanked: 358 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Skiltz wrote:
UserPostedImage

For now, I recommend turning the "thanks" feature off.

See if that helps.
Offline Jaben  
#20 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 10:04:28 AM(UTC)
Jaben

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.

BWG wrote:
Is RC4 supposed to offer better performance for long threads (i.e. those with many pages)? I found with RC1 that threads with 15 pages or more were slowing down enormously and becoming unusable. I think I've seen similar problems on the Dr Who forum which is powered by YAF. To get round the performance issue I stripped out all (or at least what I could see) of the code for the 'Thanks' functionality. That made a HUGE difference, and now I'm running threads with 60+ pages and getting sub 1 sec rendering times on the current page. Smile

That's the way it should be -- I'll take a look into the thanks feature and see how to speed it up. It's still doing way too much "extra work" on long threads.
Offline Jaben  
#21 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 11:24:49 AM(UTC)
Jaben

Hey guys... if you're having speed problems with thanks, please run this SQL code in your SQL admin in YAF -- these indexes will be in the next version of YAF:

Code:

/****** Object:  Index [IX_yaf_Thanks_MessageID]    Script Date: 06/25/2010 13:19:51 ******/
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[yaf_Thanks]') AND name = N'IX_yaf_Thanks_MessageID')
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_yaf_Thanks_MessageID] ON [dbo].[yaf_Thanks] 
(
	[MessageID] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

/****** Object:  Index [IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksFromUserID]    Script Date: 06/25/2010 13:19:51 ******/
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[yaf_Thanks]') AND name = N'IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksFromUserID')
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksFromUserID] ON [dbo].[yaf_Thanks] 
(
	[ThanksFromUserID] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

/****** Object:  Index [IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksToUserID]    Script Date: 06/25/2010 13:19:51 ******/
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[yaf_Thanks]') AND name = N'IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksToUserID')
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksToUserID] ON [dbo].[yaf_Thanks] 
(
	[ThanksToUserID] ASC
GO
Offline Jaben  
#22 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 1:56:29 PM(UTC)
Jaben

BWG wrote:
Quick question please...

Have there been any changes to the database between 1.94 RC1 and 1.94 RC4?

Thanks

Brian

Yes.
Offline Skiltz  
#23 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:46:50 PM(UTC)
Skiltz

Jaben wrote:

See if that helps.

This made a huge difference. Large topics (>500 pages) now take between 2 and 8 seconds to generate.

Offline Jaben  
#24 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:06:48 PM(UTC)
Jaben

Skiltz wrote:
Jaben wrote:

See if that helps.

This made a huge difference. Large topics (>500 pages) now take between 2 and 8 seconds to generate.

The commit I made already fixed this issue -- it only loads thanks for the current page (20 or so records).
thanks 1 user thanked Jaben for this useful post.
Kamyar on 6/27/2010(UTC)
Offline Kamyar  
#25 Posted : Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:39:26 AM(UTC)
Kamyar

Medals: Mod Developer Medal of Honor: Wrote a kick-ass Mod and contributed back to the community.Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Thank you Jaben. Some issues are hard to determine before running the project in production environment. Apologies to YAF users for the performance issue with thanks feature.
If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0
Offline Jaben  
#26 Posted : Sunday, June 27, 2010 5:42:06 PM(UTC)
Jaben

Kamyar wrote:
Thank you Jaben. Some issues are hard to determine before running the project in production environment. Apologies to YAF users for the performance issue with thanks feature.

No problem Kamyar -- the feature started very simple and quickly grew because everyone loved it -- easy to lose sight of performance. Also, it's a bit of fault of the data access layer.
Offline dainguyen24_03  
#27 Posted : Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:51:32 AM(UTC)
dainguyen24_03

SaiDon wrote:
Very Happy I am waiting RC3, thanks

dasds
Rss Feed  Atom Feed