Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jaben  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 8:13:04 PM(UTC)
Jaben

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.

Was thanked: 358 time(s) in 199 post(s)
How do you get the latest release? GitHub!

YAF.NET: https://github.com/YAFNET/YAFNET/releases/tag/v2.1
YAF.NET DNN Module: https://github.com/YAFNET/YAFNET-DNN/releases/tag/v2.1

NOTE: v2.x Requires .NET Framework v4.0

YAF.NET Community Appreciation Station

Super thanks to tha_watcha Offline !!! Special thanks to JP Offline , Zero2Cool Offline , squirrel Offline ! Thanks to the entire YAF.NET community! You guys keep YAF.NET going!

Project Move! Again!
YAF.NET is now on GitHub! https://github.com/YAFNET

The Twitterz and Facebookz
YAF.NET Twitter is here: http://twitter.com/yafnet and Facebook is here: http://www.facebook.com/...mNET-YAF/156302224384947

Build It!
Building YAF.NET from source now requires Visual Studio 2010/2012/2013. YAF.NET can be build using the freely available Visual Studio 2013 Express.

Edited by moderator Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:51:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Jaben for this useful post.
Zero2Cool on 12/31/2013(UTC), JP on 12/31/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:11:44 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Medals: Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has assisted lots and lots of people!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 92 post(s)
We upgraded yesterday to v2.1. Looking good!
thanks 1 user thanked Zero2Cool for this useful post.
Jaben on 12/31/2013(UTC)
Offline JP  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:06:27 PM(UTC)
JP

Medals: Medal of Honor for Bug Finder: Given for kick-assery at finding bugs by being excellent at QA.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Great news!!!

Will not upgrade until next year, though.... BigGrin LOL
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline JP  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 11:44:18 AM(UTC)
JP

Medals: Medal of Honor for Bug Finder: Given for kick-assery at finding bugs by being excellent at QA.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.

Upgraded from 2.0 to 2.1 with fixes from yesterday.

Looks absolutely great, and seems more stable than 2.0, ThumpUp
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user thanked JP for this useful post.
Jaben on 1/6/2014(UTC)
Offline photogearch  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 8:22:48 AM(UTC)
photogearch

Hi, I used the binary installation (https://github.com/YAFNET/YAFNET/releases/download/v2.1/YAF-v2.1-RTW-BIN.zip) to set my forum up.
After installing the forum there was the "YAF compiled in DEBUG mode" notification at the bottom of the page. The issue was fixed by building the sources in the Release configuration with subsequent replacement of the binaries received with the installation by the built ones. Original binaries also seemed to cause "Internal server error 500", which hopefully disappeared after replacing them with the newly built ones.
Offline de broekies  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:10:36 AM(UTC)
de broekies

Netherlands

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I also installed the RTW 2.1. But it seems a debug build.
Do we get a release build soon or does everyone needs to build the release mode themselfs? I prefer to download the release build instead of installing Visual Studio Express for Web.

(I don't know if there is a lot of #if DEBUG which slows down the process, but for me as an admin the sql performance list at the bottom is not pleasant)

- Robert
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:56:09 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Medals: Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has assisted lots and lots of people!

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: de broekies Go to Quoted Post
Do we get a release build soon or does everyone needs to build the release mode themselfs? I prefer to download the release build instead of installing Visual Studio Express for Web.

(I don't know if there is a lot of #if DEBUG which slows down the process, but for me as an admin the sql performance list at the bottom is not pleasant)

- Robert

http://build.yetanotherforum.net/

That might provide you want you want.
Offline de broekies  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:59:34 AM(UTC)
de broekies

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

- Robert

http://build.yetanotherforum.net/

That might provide you want you want.

Yeah, but that is a daily build with an unknown status.
Offline de broekies  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:20:13 AM(UTC)
de broekies

Netherlands

I downloaded Visual Studio Exress 2013 for web (I still had VS 2010) en compiled it in release mode. Copied the bin/dlls to the site and it is running.
But I hope that not all users who want V2.1.0 have to do this.

Another quick question.
I have been using YAF for years now and recently the posts read has been changed. There is an option to keep track of the read posts in the database. But there is a warning that it lets the database grow (or something like that).
Too be honest, database size is not an issue. It is over 40GB now. But how about the performance?
Is the YAF forum here (this forum) using the database option? For a large forum, is it wise to maintain it in the database?
Offline JP  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:48:44 PM(UTC)
JP

I am using the db tracking option, the reason is to get the same read/unread status on any device that you use to login to the forum for viewing posts.

IMHO, the database tracking option is the only way to go.
thanks 1 user thanked JP for this useful post.
de broekies on 1/21/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:51:06 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Man
United States

Tried the db tracking option a few times. Each time it has failed to function as expected and reverted to the other option which works.
thanks 1 user thanked Zero2Cool for this useful post.
de broekies on 1/21/2014(UTC)
Offline JP  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:55:57 PM(UTC)
JP

It's not perfect for multipage topics at the moment, no... In 1.9.6.1+ it worked fine for me also for multipage.
Will do as you for the moment.
Offline de broekies  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:56:55 PM(UTC)
de broekies

Netherlands

Thanks for the feedback.
Two different experiences. Maybe I need to test it on the test site and see what happens. I was assuming it was/is working, but that only things might slow down due to more database access (extended queries). That is what I am afraid of
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:05:49 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Man
United States

Thanks for the feedback.
Two different experiences. Maybe I need to test it on the test site and see what happens. I was assuming it was/is working, but that only things might slow down due to more database access (extended queries). That is what I am afraid of

Definitely. With my feedback, keep in mind my site went from DragonFly CMS to DotNetNuke w/YAF, to its current state of ASP.NET w/YAF so its quite possible in the flipping around over years I jagged something up quit nasty. Smile

I can't recall many issues with the read/unread icons, but I have had users state such issues persist, hence why I tried db tracking several times.
Offline JP  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:10:31 PM(UTC)
JP

Reverting back to db again, non-db did the same on me in a 178 page topic with 100 posts/page (presumably timeout)...

This last-read issue should be split into a separate topic and not reside in the YAF announcement topic.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:15:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed