Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline de broekies  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:16:30 AM(UTC)
de broekies

Netherlands

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
A few days ago, new coded was submitted with the remark that now Ingo Herbote (tha_watcha I assume) is the lead developer, interesting.
Also, I noticed that the YAF site (this website) was transfered. So, I guess not only a different layout (bootstrap) and got rid of DNN, but also another server.
And knowing that YAF has a commercial corner, I was just wondering....

How is YAF structured? Who is doing what and what are the plans? What is the role of Jaben now, who has spent a lot of time on YAF and whom we have to thank for his tremendes amount of work.

Tha_watcha, what are your plans with YAF?

- Robert
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:58:07 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Medals: Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has assisted lots and lots of people!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Below is a link that might add a little bit of an answer for you.

https://github.com/YAFNE...02daa346e0b8fba2cdd1fefb
thanks 1 user thanked Zero2Cool for this useful post.
de broekies on 1/28/2014(UTC)
Offline de broekies  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:23:11 AM(UTC)
de broekies

Netherlands

Thanks, but that was the reason for my question. I did see this commit change with comment, and I was wondering... (see first post)
Offline de broekies  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 5:37:39 AM(UTC)
de broekies

Netherlands

I guess tha_watcha doesn't want to snwer this question. Too bad.
Ah well, back to become a leecher again. (meaning downloading the new versions without contributing anything)
Offline tha_watcha  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 7:07:46 AM(UTC)
tha_watcha

Medals: Medal of Honor: Portal Puzzle Master: Portal Puzzle Master for DNNMedal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.DNN Master: DNN Module ManBug Killer Medal of Honor: Medal for being a kick-ass bug killer!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Support King! Amazing asset to the YAF.NET Community.

Germany

Was thanked: 1149 time(s) in 979 post(s)
Originally Posted by: de broekies Go to Quoted Post
I guess tha_watcha doesn't want to snwer this question. Too bad.
Ah well, back to become a leecher again. (meaning downloading the new versions without contributing anything)

No, sorry i want to but my time is limited during the week days, and there is so much feedback (support) from users that need help. Contribution is always welcome. For example via pull requests.

Quote:

How is YAF structured? Who is doing what and what are the plans? What is the role of Jaben now, who has spent a lot of time on YAF and whom we have to thank for his tremendes amount of work.

Well Jaben Offline is now a simple developer on the team, other then him and me there is only one more developer bbobb Offline . But he hasn't much time in the past.

So that means most work is currently done by me, which brings me to your next question...

Quote:

Tha_watcha, what are your plans with YAF?

Well, the plan is doing the same as i already did in the past. Making YAF better by fixing bugs and adding new features to it. There is still some work to do with the new site. We also detected some huge performance issues in the sql procedures. We already working on fixes to resolve this issue. Which will included in the next release.

Also there will be some changes in the releases. The next update you can view it in the issue tracker will be a bug fix release 2.1.1, which means ...

2.1.xx - are minor bug fix release and..
x.x.00 - are major release including new features.

For the commercial stuff this will take some time until i figure out a plan.

If you have any additional questions let me know.

thanks 3 users thanked tha_watcha for this useful post.
de broekies on 1/31/2014(UTC), Zero2Cool on 1/31/2014(UTC), francoz on 2/1/2014(UTC)
Offline de broekies  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 7:20:08 AM(UTC)
de broekies

Netherlands

Thank you for your answers, I appreciate that. And also thanks for the work your put into YAF!

I just have one additional question for now:
Release 2.1 came very quick after release 2.0 (quick compared to other release intervals). Does this mean that you are planning to publish releases at a faster rate?
I know we can get the daily build, but that might be dangerous and for you impossible to handle bug reports, because everyone is using a different version.
I, as a user, would love to see new releases quicker due to the bugfixes e.g. In that case we don't have to wait for lets say 6 months to 1 year for a next release.

I am using YAF for years now and yes, I think it is a great forum software. I even used the themes in my site, so the forum really looks parts of the site itself (working the other way arround Wink
But some bugs are annoying and I do get a lot of complains about it. E.g. the bug to go to the first unread post. That is not working for all threads.
If that bug is fixed, I would suggest to create a release Wink
(If not, I will use a daily build)
Offline tha_watcha  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 7:53:46 AM(UTC)
tha_watcha

Medals: Medal of Honor: Portal Puzzle Master: Portal Puzzle Master for DNNMedal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.DNN Master: DNN Module ManBug Killer Medal of Honor: Medal for being a kick-ass bug killer!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Support King! Amazing asset to the YAF.NET Community.

Germany

Was thanked: 1149 time(s) in 979 post(s)
Does this mean that you are planning to publish releases at a faster rate?

Not always but for bug fix releases yes (maybe monthly), major builds can take longer. A shorter time wouldnt make any sense. Also nightly builds are currently unavailable, but back up soon.

E.g. the bug to go to the first unread post. That is not working for all threads.
If that bug is fixed, I would suggest to create a release Wink

Yes i read that, i re-opended the issue https://github.com/YAFNET/YAFNET/issues/65

All related discussions should go in there (i properly need some one who can remotely test the updated code, since i am unable to reproduce the issue).

Offline bbobb  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 9:14:10 AM(UTC)
bbobb

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.Medal of Honor for a YAF Database Key Player: Holds the key to YAF database. Bow down!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given for answering tons of support questions and generally helping the community.Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has answered lots of support questions.

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 288 time(s) in 254 post(s)

But some bugs are annoying and I do get a lot of complains about it. E.g. the bug to go to the first unread post. That is not working for all threads.

I don't know at what point the bug had appeared, but I can explain something about huge difficulties in fixing it.
Last year I moved it to SQL Server 2005 syntaxis, the logic is more transparent now, but still is very complex. Please, don't irk tha_watcha, because it will take for him a lot of time to fathom out the complex logic, because it was wriiten not by him, it's very difficult for a developer to unrevel not his code without comments. Maybe in a month I'll look into it, but I can't promise. Keep in mind that YAF is being developed in free time or by client donations.

Guys, please, give tha_watcha several months to sort things out. This is not about development only, but about proper management too.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed