Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
6 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jaben  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2006 7:37:12 PM(UTC)
Jaben

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.

Was thanked: 358 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Please provide constructive ideas -- what would you like to see.

Here's my list in no particular order:

* Custom NET Authentication Provider Support
* Improved DNN integration (some custom DNN controls)
* DB class converted to an interface for third-party support of other databases (MSSQL is going to be our only officially support DB -- but it won't be hard to add support for other DBs if someone desires)
* Full conversion to NET v2.0. This means:
* Using Themes System
* Code being moving into partial classes
* More .NET v2.0 specific niceties maybe
* Much improved theme system.
* Redo page HTML and convert it to XHTML using CSS instead of tables – allow for much improved cross-platform support (just change CSS)
* URL re-writing system for improved search engine visibility
* “Archive” catalog system for search engines (all posts/topics in simple formatting)
* Improved User admin
* Help System
* Quick Reply thing
* Collapsible everything
* Documentation!

Just a few notes:

My resources are limited and I don’t even have an install of VS 2003 anymore to work on NET v1.1. So development on my end is already moving to a YAF for v2.0 only. But, I have no problem with someone coming on board and keeping the NET v1.1 of YAF in sync – it’s just that I’m not going to do it.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Even if it’s just modifying ONE page of HTML and converting it to XHTML – it’s appreciated.
thanks 1 user thanked Jaben for this useful post.
wmasterj on 2/21/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2006 1:34:34 AM(UTC)

Nowadays, with ASP.NET 2,0 and the system of providers, the Web applications are more compatible.
Nevertheless, the applications are independent, although they can share users, roles, etc.

YAF is an application that works very well alone, but integration with other applications (DNN for example) is limited and is necessary to prepare it (to create integration modules).

A change of architecture, that could not be very expensive, could obtain the use of YAF in any application.

This change would be simply to divide the present application in two projects:

Exclamation One would be a library of controls, with the forum core and all its functionality.
Exclamation The second would be a project Web, a simple layer of presentation, that uses the controls and library of the YAF core.

This way, YAF working alone, would be as present and the motor of YAF could be used in any application very easily.
Offline Neven  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2006 5:55:30 AM(UTC)
Neven

Jaben wrote:

* Much improved theme system.
* Redo page HTML and convert it to XHTML using CSS instead of tables – allow for much improved cross-platform support (just change CSS)

I was giving it much thouht recenty, when I was trying to convert a phpBB theme with little success.
I believe that we could overcome both issues if the crucial content-displaying pages would produce XML output formated with XSL.
Basicaly, XML contains data, and XSL fotmating.
XSL pages should be a part of theme.
That way, the designer gets all the data he needs, formats it any way he finds appropriate without modifiying core ASPX.
For example: now, if you want for some reason to disable private messages, or quotes, or you just dont want to see other ppl's signatures or avatars, you would nead to modify your files and create de facto your own private version of YAF.
If we use XML/XSL model, you'd just create a new theme file striped of the things you don't need.
XML + Aural CSS could also make reading the forum easier for the (visually impaired) people who use screen readers.
XML/XSL model would facilitate reading forum on other devices - primarily the mobile ones with smaller displays.

I believe most of you know what are XML and XSL. In a nutshell - XML acts like a database table in a file. It is interpreted on user's machine using the instructions from XLS file. The XSL file reads the data from XML an places XHTML tags around it.
Jaben wrote:
* Quick Reply thing
I believe the code exists here.

My two cents: (also in random order; in adittion to those already mentioned)
* Fixing the known JavaScript code insertion issues
* to cleanse the code from hard-coded text, so the forum could be fully localised (just 3-4 places)
* export/import of dirty words filter. Also extend the filter to signatures and all the user input fields.
* minor tuning of the default forum installation settings (The avatars, smilies, No Acess Acess mask, version name...)
* Advanced search
* Turn "Host settings" to "Board settings" - now this one is big. If you need to run more (and more) separate independent boards, centralized managemend turns into a nightmare. The brute force solution of installing yet another instance of YAF could be avoided if what the settings currently located in "Host settings" could apply to single board.
* E-mail templates need to be linked to a custom board too! I was quite embarrased when a user subscribed to a topci in Board B got the email notification apparently from the Board A.
* "Ignore list" for pm molesters.
* differentiate Sticky and Announcement
* introduction of separate "display name". Appart from the fact that the username makes 50% of someones identity in the 'eyes' of the server, the separate display name would facilitate automatic generation of usernames and passwords for large amounts of users.
* Bulk import of users
* moving posts to other topics.
* fixing the minor "move topic" issues (moderators can move topics to forums they have no moderator rights; the Moved topic pointer remains even if the topic is returned to the original forum; the Moved topic pointer remains after "Show Moved Topics" is unchecked)

Regardless of the development ideas, I think we need some kind of goal - what we want YAF to be, and why are we making it. A mision statement.
If we want the fastest and the most robust board system on the net, or, if we want to have more instalations than any other board system on the net, or if we want the most disabled-friendly BS, or if we want the BS with the most supported languages on the net, will strongly influence which development ideas are more important than others.

Thank you for your time reading this.
... But trust me on the sunscreen!

test2005 wrote:
There not bugs(in YAF)...it's either un-defined features or exceptions to expected behavior!!
Offline Jaben  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2006 11:23:31 AM(UTC)
Jaben

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.

Neven wrote:
I was giving it much thouht recenty, when I was trying to convert a phpBB theme with little success.
I believe that we could overcome both issues if the crucial content-displaying pages would produce XML output formated with XSL.
That way, the designer gets all the data he needs, formats it any way he finds appropriate without modifiying core ASPX.
For example: now, if you want for some reason to disable private messages, or quotes, or you just dont want to see other ppl's signatures or avatars, you would nead to modify your files and create de facto your own private version of YAF.
If we use XML/XSL model, you'd just create a new theme file striped of the things you don't need.
XML + Aural CSS could also make reading the forum easier for the (visually impaired) people who use screen readers.
XML/XSL model would facilitate reading forum on other devices - primarily the mobile ones with smaller displays.

I believe most of you know what are XML and XSL. In a nutshell - XML acts like a database table in a file. It is interpreted on user's machine using the instructions from XLS file. The XSL file reads the data from XML an places XHTML tags around it.

I don't think XSLT is right for this forum, unfortunately. XSLT doesn't allow a real way to create ASP.NET controls. It can be done, of course, but it would look pretty strange. I like XML, but that's not what the system produces right now. That could change but you'd be giving up functionality as well as addition flexability.

ASP.NET controls don't work seamlessly with XSLT transformed data -- not even sure how'd you do databinding -- but I can imagine it would be rather complex.

Anyway, I can't say I'm going to go in this direction.
Offline Jaben  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2006 11:42:56 AM(UTC)
Jaben

Neven wrote:

* to cleanse the code from hard-coded text, so the forum could be fully localised (just 3-4 places)
* export/import of dirty words filter. Also extend the filter to signatures and all the user input fields.
* minor tuning of the default forum installation settings (The avatars, smilies, No Acess Acess mask, version name...)
* Advanced search

More direction on these suggestions would be appreciated. For the first two -- where are the issues?

Neven wrote:

* Turn "Host settings" to "Board settings" - now this one is big. If you need to run more (and more) separate independent boards, centralized managemend turns into a nightmare. The brute force solution of installing yet another instance of YAF could be avoided if what the settings currently located in "Host settings" could apply to single board.
* E-mail templates need to be linked to a custom board too! I was quite embarrased when a user subscribed to a topci in Board B got the email notification apparently from the Board A.

I actually started working on this a while ago -- sort of board settings override for host settings. Will put it on the list.

Neven wrote:

* "Ignore list" for pm molesters.
* differentiate Sticky and Announcement
* introduction of separate "display name". Appart from the fact that the username makes 50% of someones identity in the 'eyes' of the server, the separate display name would facilitate automatic generation of usernames and passwords for large amounts of users.
* Bulk import of users
* moving posts to other topics.
* fixing the minor "move topic" issues (moderators can move topics to forums they have no moderator rights; the Moved topic pointer remains even if the topic is returned to the original forum; the Moved topic pointer remains after "Show Moved Topics" is unchecked)

Thanks for these.

Neven wrote:

Regardless of the development ideas, I think we need some kind of goal - what we want YAF to be, and why are we making it. A mision statement.
If we want the fastest and the most robust board system on the net, or, if we want to have more instalations than any other board system on the net, or if we want the most disabled-friendly BS, or if we want the BS with the most supported languages on the net, will strongly influence which development ideas are more important than others.

I’m not exactly sure at this point. I cannot shoot for it to be the ultimate BB -- I really don't have that kind of time. The problem is there are lots of holes. Frankly, I don't want to fill them all. I am hopeful that a few people (who are very helpful) can help make this thing work good and fill some of these voids. But I am also a very busy man – I just don’t want to see YAF die and I am willing to assist when I can, but not at the expense of my life.
Offline Neven  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2006 4:39:11 PM(UTC)
Neven

Jaben wrote:
Neven wrote:

More direction on these suggestions would be appreciated. For the first two -- where are the issues?

1. JavaScript execution through [IMG] tag as described here
2. <script> tags in username as described here
3. Topic deletion through JavaScript in post as described in my PM to you on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 5:13:42 PM
4. Rendering a layer over the whole page, making it impossible to read but also impossible to cklick "edit" or "delete" by moderators as described in my PM to you on Monday, February 13, 2006 4:43:09 PM

about hard coded -- I don't keep written track of it, but I remembered those:
posts.ascx lines 54 and 57 "View"/"Options"
active.ascx line 23 "( Last 24 Hours )"
info.ascx.cs text in lines 44,45,48,49,52,53,58,59,67,68
ForumPage.cs line 500 "Main Forum Rss Feed"
Posts.ascx.cs lines 142 - 163: tooltips

Edited by user Saturday, July 1, 2006 5:01:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

test2005 wrote:
There not bugs(in YAF)...it's either un-defined features or exceptions to expected behavior!!
Offline Neven  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2006 4:19:17 PM(UTC)
Neven

I skiped the two most obvious:
classes\BBCode.cs: line 184 "wrote:"; Line 186 "Quote"; Lines 111 and 120: "Code:"

test2005 wrote:
Offline Mek  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2006 6:07:51 PM(UTC)
Mek

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
hehe keep em coming Neven, sorting them out! Though someone will have to help with translations.
UserPostedImage

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon Smile )
Offline test2005  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:06:00 PM(UTC)
test2005

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Jaben wrote:
Neven wrote:

I don't think XSLT is right for this forum, unfortunately. XSLT doesn't allow a real way to create ASP.NET controls. It can be done, of course, but it would look pretty strange. I like XML, but that's not what the system produces right now. That could change but you'd be giving up functionality as well as addition flexability.

ASP.NET controls don't work seamlessly with XSLT transformed data -- not even sure how'd you do databinding -- but I can imagine it would be rather complex.

Anyway, I can't say I'm going to go in this direction.

I agree with Neven that a XML structure would "set the stage" for future platforms. I've had several users ask about "read only" access on mobile devices. An XML stucture would make mobile development much simpler. My 2 cents anyway.

The only suggestions I can make Neven has already covered.

As it stands, you guys seem to get everything "bang on target" in the end! :d
.....the man in black fled across the desert..........and the gunslinger followed.....
Offline Mek  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:39:19 PM(UTC)
Mek

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.

For next release Alert Moderator of inappropraite post or similiar system. Had a recent experience on my forums which makes this necessary.
UserPostedImage

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon Smile )
Offline Neven  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2006 5:31:09 PM(UTC)
Neven

Has anyone wished for a permalink for each post?
I often point my users to a link and tell them to read third post on that page... Neutral 'cos I'm either to lasy or to bussy to view page source, find the post, copy its' ID and paste it into URL.
Since the information is already on the page, why not put it in visible presentation layer?

test2005 wrote:
Offline Neven  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:42:00 PM(UTC)
Neven

This post reminded me of one thing:
test2005 wrote:
bigtoga wrote:
I don't know how to answer that just because I don't know how much you know about digg/reddit/magnolia/delicios/et al. If you don't know what those sites are, then I would suggest you do a little research. If you do know what those sites are and still ask the question, then I suppose the argument could be made that it's for SEO and marketing in addition to the obvious ability to let users bookmark their favorite posts. I suppose that it's in the eye of the beholder.

As for the question about whether these are similar to the "social bookmarks" at the bottom of each user's post, I don't know what you're talking about. YAF has nothing like this built into it so there is no correlation. These sort of bookmark icons are found in many blogging engines and other forums though; it's hardly something new, just something commonly found in other systems that can now be used in YAF.

Right..........OK.....So you don't think these...

UserPostedImage

...should go right beside these...

UserPostedImage

..which would require a simple modification to the profile page and calling extra "tags" on the post line.

Is that what your after?

BTW....do you think you could scale your image down a bit. It's a tad large.

The current YAF user profile contains fields for home page, Weblog, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, and ICQ-Number.
The finite number of such field might present an opstacle to scalability.
Right now, there is no place for Skype; tomorrow some new popular services might appear...
What do you think, is there a need to have name-value pairs for that kind of personal information?

test2005 wrote:
Offline Mek  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:42:39 PM(UTC)
Mek

@Neven re: User Profiles.
Thats pretty easy to do when we go down the provider path, basically its pretty customisable without additional code. You want to add something to the profile, you add an entry in the web.config and make sure there is a column in the database table.

It's pretty nifty.
UserPostedImage

Offline Mek  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 1:03:24 AM(UTC)
Mek

Neven wrote:
I often point my users to a link and tell them to read third post on that page... Neutral 'cos I'm either to lasy or to bussy to view page source, find the post, copy its' ID and paste it into URL.
Since the information is already on the page, why not put it in visible presentation layer?

Funnily enough just had this request on the forums too. Not entirely sure how you would want it implementing though, send link?
Copy link to clipboard?
View link and it pop it in a textbox?
UserPostedImage

Offline Neven  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:33:24 PM(UTC)
Neven

Mek wrote:
Neven wrote:

Funnily enough just had this request on the forums too. Not entirely sure how you would want it implementing though, send link?
Copy link to clipboard?
View link and it pop it in a textbox?
I had in mind something like this:
Quote:
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 6:03:24 PM | Link to this post

Copy to clipboard on event is MSIE-only feature.
In most of the cases you don't need to view the link, just copy it.

Edited by user Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:41:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

test2005 wrote:
Rss Feed  Atom Feed