Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
6 Pages«<3456>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dimi  
#61 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2011 6:33:21 PM(UTC)
Dimi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jaben Go to Quoted Post

I actually started working on this a while ago -- sort of board settings override for host settings. Will put it on the list.

Good to know! But what about my idea about URL sensitive settings? Say, I'm having a forum with many different states. It would be extremely convenient if we could start the same forum with some parameter to show only the set of forums related to the appropriate state or country. The URL keys should be configurable of course, and the admin should be able to set a new key or correct the existing one to bind the appropriate forums and categories to it and hide all others. Isn't that a good idea? In this case we can keep working with the same forum installation and never create tons of different forums bothering with different accounts, settings, etc. Once it's done the hidden categories and forums can appear if the user wants them to appear. Say, the forum starts with the appropriate set of categories and forums visible for the user that used the appropriate URL. But once the user is logged in hw should be able to click a button to "restore" all the hidden items available for him, or to hide them again to make the forum more flexible, lighter and easier for reading/posting.
Dimi
UserPostedImage
Offline Dimi  
#62 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2011 6:45:45 PM(UTC)
Dimi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kierepka Go to Quoted Post
Maybe you should consider to move source code to Codeplex.com?

Kind regards from Poland

Honestly I prefere and like Vault Source Gear. They provide their solution for a single developer for free. Here is the link:

http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/

I'm pretty sure it is discussible with the Vault Team since YAF if the opensource and freeware project. I guess they can grant a special license to help develop this project. At the same time we, as developers, could use the source codes shared with Vault Source Gear and even post our own corretions. Or at least it can be done read-only for the rest of the world and we should be able to track all the changes right away to send the correction in email messages as attachments and our suggestions.

I began using Vault Source-Off-Site over 10 years ago, then I switched to Vault Source Gear. Also keep in mind that the latest version of this system have the bug tracking features. Isn't that excellent? it can help to automate the whole process and let us participate in the project as well. I'm a developer, but I can't do that right now for some obvious reasons. We'll be always behind the main train because we're not tracking the latest code. So it's almost impossible to easily merge the changes that we'd like to add.

Btw, authorized Internet developers can get a special login from the main developer to be able to upload the changes, all others should get it as Read-Only with the ability to post changed somehow to get them approved and merged.

Finally, I suspect that Vault is located in Germany, so it will be easy for the local guys to contact them directly on the phone to discuss the details.

Edited by user Friday, January 21, 2011 8:47:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dimi
UserPostedImage
Offline nordic  
#63 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:16:34 PM(UTC)
nordic

The next idea should include mvc 3 razor
Offline JP  
#64 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:46:48 PM(UTC)
JP

Medals: Medal of Honor for Bug Finder: Given for kick-assery at finding bugs by being excellent at QA.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
MVC4 is the current version, so I think MVC3 is a bit overdue for any new development if there should be any efforts in that direction w Razor instead of WebForms for YAF... I do my own site in MVC4 now, but I did start it out with MVC3 last summer... Had to redo/rethink a couple of things when updated, but MVC4 & .Net Framework 4.5 does it much better than MVC3 & 4.0...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline dcytkimminh  
#65 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:30:15 AM(UTC)
dcytkimminh

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank jaben very much! Happy New Year 2013
Offline Zero2Cool  
#66 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:38:50 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Medals: Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has assisted lots and lots of people!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JP Go to Quoted Post
MVC4 is the current version, so I think MVC3 is a bit overdue for any new development if there should be any efforts in that direction w Razor instead of WebForms for YAF... I do my own site in MVC4 now, but I did start it out with MVC3 last summer... Had to redo/rethink a couple of things when updated, but MVC4 & .Net Framework 4.5 does it much better than MVC3 & 4.0...

MVC4 would be excellent indeededly.
Offline Jaben  
#67 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:43:36 PM(UTC)
Jaben

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.

Was thanked: 358 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JP Go to Quoted Post

MVC4 would be excellent indeededly.

Agreed. The view system is indeed ready for an upgrade.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#68 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:28:56 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Medals: Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has assisted lots and lots of people!

Man
United States

Agreed. The view system is indeed ready for an upgrade.

I wish I had more coding experience so I could contribute if there's a milestone set for that. I'm still a noob with MVC though.
Offline bbobb  
#69 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 7:14:21 AM(UTC)
bbobb

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.Medal of Honor for a YAF Database Key Player: Holds the key to YAF database. Bow down!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given for answering tons of support questions and generally helping the community.Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has answered lots of support questions.

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 288 time(s) in 254 post(s)
Opinion: MVC4 with WebForms. Maybe Web API. But needs perfomance check.
No need to upgrade what works fine just because it's new and gives nothing except a pain in the ass.
Umbraco 5 comes to mind.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#70 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 8:56:52 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: bbobb Go to Quoted Post
No need to upgrade what works fine just because it's new and gives nothing except a pain in the ass.
Umbraco 5 comes to mind.

Can you explain what you mean MVC4 doesn't give you anything over web forms and explain how it's more difficult to maintain than web forms?
Offline bbobb  
#71 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 9:12:35 AM(UTC)
bbobb

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.Medal of Honor for a YAF Database Key Player: Holds the key to YAF database. Bow down!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given for answering tons of support questions and generally helping the community.Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has answered lots of support questions.

Man
Russian Federation

Can you explain what you mean MVC4 doesn't give you anything over web forms and explain how it's more difficult to maintain than web forms?

What view engines can be used with MVC4? Smile

Offline Zero2Cool  
#72 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 9:14:25 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Man
United States

What view engines can be used with MVC4? Smile

You mean like, Razor?

Edited by user Friday, August 30, 2013 9:31:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jaben  
#73 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 12:50:03 PM(UTC)
Jaben

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.

Was thanked: 358 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Umbraco 5 comes to mind.

Agreed. I personally *really* like razor. But am fine with WebForms if it means code reuse. WebAPI or Simple.Web (http://blog.markrendle.net/2012/06/01/simple-web/) would be the way to go to convert the existing AJAX stuff to proper REST API stuff.

Stuff on my YAF.NET todo list:

1. Finish the plugin architecture -- this would help with design decisions going forward.
2. Minification
3. API
4. Open for discussion: Convert to Bootstrap CSS (with tons of existing themes) and Controls -- also less use of JQuery UI.
5. MVC design that would minimize use of web form pages and specifically logic in the web forms.
6. NuGet gallery for YAF.NET plugins and themes.

Edited by user Friday, August 30, 2013 12:51:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Zero2Cool  
#74 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 1:28:48 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Man
United States

Stuff on my YAF.NET todo list:

1. Finish the plugin architecture -- this would help with design decisions going forward.
2. Minification
3. API
4. Open for discussion: Convert to Bootstrap CSS (with tons of existing themes) and Controls -- also less use of JQuery UI.
5. MVC design that would minimize use of web form pages and specifically logic in the web forms.
6. NuGet gallery for YAF.NET plugins and themes.

Not that I am asking you to explain yourself to me, but I would like to help somehow and if you could elaborate a little more on the items perhaps I could? I really love YAF and in anyway that I can help, I'd like to.

1. Plugin architecture for something like TapaTalk?
  2. Minification? shrink lines of code?
  3. API ... what would the intent/goal be?
  4. I think from what you've said about Bootstrap, this would be HUGE for YAF.
  5. My experience with MVC is that it's quite nice and very good for code reuse. Also, I think it might shorten up URL's too.
  6. I no ziltch about nuget, I be useless here lol

Edited by user Friday, August 30, 2013 1:31:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bbobb  
#75 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:13:07 AM(UTC)
bbobb

Man
Russian Federation

Minification? shrink lines of code?

Highly probably this is simply rewriting fast custom code into slow generic.

• My experience with MVC is that it's quite nice and very good for code reuse.

• ... and more time consuming to develop too.

Anyway, there will be an alternative.
    Rss Feed  Atom Feed