Angate
  •  Angate
  • 53% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2012-05-02T01:03:02Z
Please forgive me if this question has been asked a bazillion times and answered, but I don't have the words to find the answer here or on Google. What I would like to do is have a feed (Not RSS per say) on my home page of my site from a specific forum hosted on my site. So that when users come to the site they are greeted by a news feed that is the result of forum posts made by administrators. I don't want to make this an RSS feed because that seems needlessly complex. I am a capable .NET (VB) developer and can code what is necessary. I was just hoping that there may be a packaged way of doing it rather than hard coding it all.

You can see an example of what I am thinking of at Euro Bricks Lego  site (don't judge me...)

Dan
Sponsor
tha_watcha
2012-05-02T12:45:33Z
Quote:

So that when users come to the site they are greeted by a news feed that is the result of forum posts made by administrators.

One way is to code your own control that shows the last 10 posts of user x. Or if you use an Blog thats supports the MetaWeblog API, you can use that api to allow user to publish there messages to the blog via that api, if there define the needed settings in their profile.
UserPostedImage
Angate
  •  Angate
  • 53% (Neutral)
2012-05-02T16:01:01Z
Is there a stored procedure I can call that will show me the last x posts from y forum? I have looked through them and honestly the SQL is a bit over my head.
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2012-05-02T18:57:19Z
Frankly, it's rather difficult if you don't know how YAF works.
Angate
  •  Angate
  • 53% (Neutral)
2012-05-03T00:49:08Z
Well can you point me in the direction of some helpful documentation? The documentation link to the wiki leaves a lot to be desired. I'm also not a C# programmer so it's a bit much looking through that code. I'm not asking for someone to do it for me, I'm more than happy to write the code necessary, I just need a starting place.
tha_watcha
2012-05-03T13:18:35Z
Originally Posted by: Angate 

Well can you point me in the direction of some helpful documentation? The documentation link to the wiki leaves a lot to be desired. I'm also not a C# programmer so it's a bit much looking through that code. I'm not asking for someone to do it for me, I'm more than happy to write the code necessary, I just need a starting place.

Take a look at the profile.ascx page "http://forum.yetanotherforum.net/yaf_profile20544.aspx#Last10PostsTab"

it shows the Last 10 Posts of a user in an simply Repeater that contains the Messages, technically you can put that code and the code the fills the repeater with data on any page you want, to show it as news. But as bbobb mentioning it is not easy if you don't know YAF works.

UserPostedImage

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.